The 4+1 Accelerated MSPO Program at the Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AAE) at UW-Madison provides motivated undergraduate students pursuing the B.S. in Agricultural and Applied Economics or B.S. in Agricultural Business Management the opportunity to complete a bachelor’s degree and master’s degree within five years. Specifically, UW-Madison undergraduate students that graduate with their AAE bachelor’s degree in the Spring semester can complete the AAE Master’s of Science in Agricultural Economics—Professional Option (MSPO) within just 12 months following graduation. Undergraduate students that wish to pursue the 4+1 Accelerated MSPO option should complete AAE 636: Applied Econometric Analysis and AAE 637: Applied Econometrics II with a grade of “B” or better by the end of their senior year, and graduate with an overall GPA of at least 3.0. The seven credits from AAE 636-7 will reduce the total required credits for the MSPO degree from 30 to 23 allowing 4+1 Accelerated students to complete the MSPO degree within 12 months after completing their bachelor’s degree. UW-Madison undergraduate students from related departments outside of AAE may also petition to enroll in the 4+1 Accelerated MSPO Program and their applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Students from other universities may also petition to enroll in the 4+1 Accelerated MSPO Program but must have taken at least one graduate-level course in econometrics, completed a bachelor’s degree in economics, applied economics or another closely related discipline, and graduated from a university accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Required Courses by End of Senior Year (7 credits):
- Fall (3 credits):
- AAE 636: Applied Econometric Analysis I (3 credits)
- Spring (4 credits):
- AAE 637: Applied Econometrics II (4 credits)
Minimum Requirements for Completing MSPO Degree (23 credits):
- Summer (2 credits):
- AAE 335*: Intro to Data Analysis using Spreadsheets (2 credits)
- Fall (13 credits):
- AAE 635: Applied Microeconomic Theory (3 credits)
- AAE 720: Seminar in Quantitative and Applied Economics (1 credit)
- AAE 723: Professional Development for Applied Economists (1 credit)
- AAE 722: Machine Learning in Applied Economic Analysis (4 credits)
- Electives in AAE or related department (4 credits)
- Spring (8 credits):
- AAE 706: Applied Risk Analysis OR AAE 719: Applied Business Economics (3 credits)
- AAE 721: Writing and Speaking for Applied Economists (1 credit)
- AAE 724: Practicum for Applied Economists (4 credits)
*In lieu of AAE 335 students may take other approved 300+ AAE courses or pre-approved classes from other related departments.
Application and Admission
Interested undergraduate students will need to apply for the MSPO program by March 31st of their senior year. However, AAE undergraduates that complete AAE 636 and AAE 637 with a grade of “B” or better and overall GPA of at least a 3.0 will be automatically accepted into the 4+1 MSPO Accelerated Program with a streamlined application process.
Requirements for admission include:
- UW-Madison Graduate School application
- CV or resume
- Two academic letters of recommendation
- A University of Wisconsin-Madison transcript showing an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher.
For questions regarding the 4+1 Accelerated MSPO Program, contact Jordan van Rijn at firstname.lastname@example.org.