Faculty - Ian Coxhead
Professor and Chair, Agricultural and Applied Economics
||433 Taylor Hall
427 Lorch St.Madison, WI 53706
||Economics of development; globalization; trade; education; labor markets and migration; poverty; inequality; China; Vietnam; Indonesia; Thailand; Southeast Asia.
I study the economics of development, especially the effects of globalization and global market shocks on production, employment, wages and household income and welfare. Within developing economies I focus on labor markets, migration and educational decisions and their implications for poverty and inequality. I also study the impacts and incidence of domestic policies on growth, trade and environment. I am a specialist in the economies of East and Southeast Asia.
Ph.D. Econ., Australian National University, 1990.
M.Agr. Devel. Econ., Australian National University, 1984.
B.A. (Hons. I) History, University of New South Wales, 1981.
Recent Papers & Publications
- Coxhead, Ian. "Vietnam in 2016: tiptoeing through transition" Asian Survey.
- Bresnahan Lauren, Ian Coxhead, Jeremy Foltz and Tewodaj Mogues . 2016. "Does freer trade really lead to productivity growth? Evidence from sub-Saharan Africa" World Development 86(1):18-29
- Coxhead, Ian, and Rashesh Shrestha. 2016 . "Could a resource export boom reduce workers’ earnings? The labor market channel in Indonesia" Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies 52(2):185-208
- Routledge Handbook of Southeast Asian Economics 2014. Ian Coxhead, ed. UK: Routledge.
- Phan, Diep and Ian Coxhead. 2013. "Long-Run Costs of Piecemeal Reform: Wage Inequality and Returns to Education in Vietnam" J. Comparative Economics 41(4):1106-1120:44
- Coxhead, Ian, and Diep Phan. 2013. "Princelings and paupers: State employment and the distribution of human capital investments among Vietnamese households" Asian Development Review 30(2):26-48
- Coxhead, Ian; Anan Wattanakuljarus, and Nguyen Van Chan. 2013. "Are carbon taxes good for the poor? A general equilibrium analysis for Vietnam" World Development 59(1):119-131
- Ian Coxhead and Sisira Jayasuriya . The Open Economy and the Environment: Development, Trade and Resources in Asia. Chelthenham, UK, and Northampton, MA, USA: Edward Elgar, 2003.
- Coxhead, Ian and Rashesh Shrestha. "Globalization and school-work choices in an emerging economy: Vietnam" Asian Economic Papers.